Monday, January 31, 2011

What have I gotten into?

I haven't fished for over a month now and am feeling a little depressed and ashamed.  Thus I will have to get out this weekend.  The rivers are pretty high, although they are coming down now since it hasn't rained in a week now, so I'm not too fond of going in search of the dispersed trout I normally target.  I've been doing some reading lately in preparation of achieving goal #5 for the new year: targeting and catching a steelhead.  What I have read has made me realize that right now is probably one of the best times of the year to go in search of this quarry.

So I went to the local fly shop after work today to get some local knowledge and buy some stuff I don't have.  The older gentleman who helped me out didn't do a great job though.  I asked where to go and he said any coastal stream.  Thanks.  I wasn't hoping for a specific location, but maybe a couple of rivers that he thinks are good bets and some general areas would have maybe been nice.  Oh well, I'll make due with what I have.

After getting some meager advice on where to go I asked what to use in terms of gear and flies.  He said 7 or 8wt rod, which I already more or less knew.  He said sinking line or leader so I grabbed one.  He said a thingamabobber, which I have.  And finally we went to pick out some flies.  I couldn't help chuckling at some of the ridiculous things he pulled out.  Steelhead must be incredibly stupid fish to think these monstrosities are food.  To me it's a huge change.  I'm used to trout fishing, and when I use nymphs, my three top patterns are shown in the picture below right below the three monsters I bought today.  This is going to be a different experience.




Wish me luck!

Oh, and after I lose all of these big guys I will be prepared to achieve goal #6 of tying a big ugly streamer.  I bought all I need to do up the one of the left (it's the easiest).

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, bring those to Illinois and I'll show you where to put them.

    ReplyDelete