After my recent success with a couple steelhead in town I was talking with another friend of mine who suggested keeping one at some point to try it out in my frying pan. I thought it sounded like a good idea so I went to the interwebs to tell me when, where, and how I could catch and keep a steelhead without going to jail or losing my fishing license. And after more than a few minutes of leafing through the regulations novel (which warrants another post at a later date) I finally figured that, yes, I could catch and keep a steelhead this time of year where I have been fishing. I also saw this nice notice right beside the regulations for the Willamette river:
In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, mmmm, mercury and PCBs.
Then again it doesn't tell me what "High" means. So referring to page 18 tells me how fast I will die if I decide to eat some of these tasty fish.
"All persons should reduce or avoid eating..." or what? This one is even more frightening. If I do eat some of the fat and ingest these lovely PCBs, dioxins, or pesticides what happens? Instant death, or a small increase in the likelihood of getting cancer or having failing kidneys or something of that ilk?
I think I'll just continue my normal catch and release fishing. Not because I'm a self-righteous prig but because it's not worth the potential side effects.