Thursday, June 19, 2014

Carp Update


I haven't had nearly as much time as I'd like recently on the weekends to get out on the water.  Too much soccer and other activities getting in the way of fish time. And the weather sometimes doesn't help me either.

But I did manage a couple of outings recently. I haven't had sufficient time to go exploring the Columbia river, and I feel like I require time because I really haven't found great places yet in high water. Instead I've hit up the old reliable Sauvie Island a few times to spook a bunch of carp in the murky still waters. I have had a ton of success at spooking them too.

I don't know how many fish I've spooked that were sitting down in the muddy water out of sight and within a rods length of me, but the number is high. There has been some success as well, although not as much as I would hope. The island has seemed a bit more tame that the last couple years. It used to be a place where any given day I spent out there I could plan on seeing at least a dozen or two dozen tails dancing around on the surface.  This year I've been lucky to see a few, and I have had to work a lot harder to find some fish cruising around. I don't know what's changed.

Nonetheless, it's been a fun couple of outings. I just hope there are a lot more in the near future. Of course there won't be any in the very near future due to some pending travels, but when I get back it's on. I intend to hit the BigC as hard as possible. Stay tuned for those reports!




1 comment:

  1. Opinions may vary, but sounds to me like at least you're not fighting runoff! I guess I need to put on my big boy pants and scare up some carp.

    ReplyDelete