Thursday, September 12, 2013

We Can't All Be Heros

The carp on the fly movement within the fly fishing industry--is it truly a movement or is it just me?--is alluring trout anglers away because of the potential for catching big fish. In a recent carp outing I was thinking how to compare carp and trout, and I think you can basically replace pounds and inches. I would hereby like to institute a fish exchange rate. The trout to carp exchange out here in Oregon is on order of 1inch : 1.2pound, meaning the likelihood of catching a 10 inch trout is about the same as catching a 12 pound carp.

Of course that doesn't account for the total numbers of fish you are likely to catch, but that's too many things to consider at once. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Sorry.

So in looking through some older photos on my camera's SD I came to a dilemma. It's not a carp, but a catfish, but let's ignore that for a second. What would be the trout equivalent for this one??




I suppose it would be a trout egg at best. Or maybe the exchange is not linear and asymptotically increases infinity as the carp (catfish) size goes to zero. I don't know. I just report. You decide.

All I know is <see post title>.


PS - I wonder what other exchange rates should be instituted.  Steelhead? Salmon? Bass? Pike? etc...?

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine that you'd get too many people willing to exchange a 6" trout for a 20 pound carp. Well, except maybe me.

    ReplyDelete