Friday, October 7, 2011

No Solicitors!

But it's legal if you trick someone into coming to your doorstep so that you can solicit them.

Which is exactly what I'm doing here.  HA!  Gotcha!  Now bow to my demands.

Some friends and I are planning a trip to the Indian Peaks Wilderness in two weeks (mid Oct) for some lake fishing and would love comments on whether this is a good idea or not.

It could be terribly cold/snowy and we are planning to backpack and stay for a few days. We're not sure if it's a little late in the season or if there could be ice on the lakes already. We're also not sure exactly where to go.  There will be a contingency plan in case of bad weather.

Let the comments and advice roll in!

6 comments:

  1. Indian Peaks Wilderness in Colorado? If so, I don't think there will be ice on the lakes yet. I was up at a high lake in the Mt. Evans Wilderness area (a bit south of indian peaks) last weekend and the fishing was great. But, we got snow today...cold snap....but the next week looks good and warmer. So I think the lakes will probably be ice-free...but you'll definitely have to deal with snow. I'd call the ranger station for current updates though. What lake are you thinking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about crater lakes, but up for anything. Also looked into skyscraper and the lakes around that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've fished one of the lower crater lakes, and the upper. The upper had large cutts that wouldn't give me the time of day (but I think I caught them at a bad time...spawning), and the lower had brookies and also some lake trout. I never made it back to fish the larger of the lower crater lakes, but have been told it fishes well. I've never been to skyscraper or Woodland (beneath it). Forest Lakes was a good trip for me this summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Jay got a report from a fisherman in the shop yesterday, that he'd been up to some high lakes above Brainard Lake (Nederland) and they had a thin sheet of ice. Definitely call and check with a ranger station to see if they have any fresh reports before you guys head up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, the ice sheet is good info. We'll make some calls before heading up there. I hope it's clear though because I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Tim, you tricked me. Nice place you've got here! I'll echo what Erin said, check before you head out. It's a crap shoot this time of the year and can be 90 one day and 20 the next.

    ReplyDelete