Monday, March 25, 2013

How Do You Do It?

I've wondered for a while which is the better way to mount a hook in a vise. It seems most people do it like this:

 or this:


In fact every single one of the images I encountered in a Google search were some variation of the above. But I have always felt it works better this way, with the hook point slightly recessed behind the vise tip:



Why my preference for this (apparently incorrect) mode? Because this way you don't have to worry about accidentally cutting your thread with the point of the hook. The only reason I can think of to mount the other way is to maximize the available space to wrap...except you aren't actually gaining anything here. If you mount the hook in the vise so that the point of the hook is just inside the tip of the vise you still have the same available space to wrap. By sticking the hook point out of the vise you only lose the ability to be careless while thread-wrapping. Unless I am missing something.

How do you do it? And why?


P.S. - This is a bit of a ghost post (scheduled ahead of time) while I am living it up fishing in Montana. Be jealous. Be very jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment